Wellington and District YMCA and was founded in 1859. We are an independent Christian charity committed to helping young people particularly at times of hardship and need, regardless of gender, race, ability and faith. We are a part of the national and international YMCA movement
From 1920 until the early 1990’s, we were based at Wrekin Buildings in Tan Bank in the centre of Wellington. From there we provided a substantial range of leisure and social facilities for the people of Wellington.
YMCA Ladies Club celebrated the New Year in 1956 with a party.
The unveiling of the YMCA clock
However in the early 1990s the board identified an unmet need amongst local young homeless single people and developed a new strategy to address this. Since then, providing supported accommodation for young, homeless single people has become our core activity. We sold part of Wrekin Buildings and moved to Consort House in Victoria Avenue in 1994. This is owned by YMCA England and managed by Wellington and District YMCA. We now offer 27 units of supported accommodation across 3 sites in Wellington – Consort House, Wrekin Buildings and Victoria Mews.
In 2013Wellington and District YMCA were involved in setting up the Thrive Partnership, offering floating support to customers in their own homes.